Sunday, March 14, 2010

Semi Final Weekend

A bitter sweet weekend for City United with the 2nds knocked out after being so competitive in the second half of the season and for such a long time in their semi-final. The 3rds again rose to the occasion in a compelling and in the end emphative outright win. Birthday men, Chris Langston and Ben Cleghorn certainly found good ways to celebrate with the ball and Richie O'Halloran's rich run of form continued.

2nd Grade v Souths at Chaffey Park
Souths 206 (Chris Langston 4-17, Ben Semmler 3-50) defeated City United 156 (Richie O'Halloran 55, Leo Steyn 45, Sean Hancock 27) by 50 runs.
One Mitch Holt (souths) over closed the season down for the 2nds after they had bowled so well on the first day, with Langston and Semmler outstanding but everyone contributing. Unfortunately, with Souths 7-114 and the game plan of playing a bowler heavy line up, pressure stopped yielding wickets and by stumps, there was 200 to chase. In truth, this side hasn't chased that many and won very often this season, if at all. After a clatter of early wickets where Hancock had really looked the goods, City was in trouble at 4-44. Steyn and O'Halloran combined for an 80 run stand that whispered victory until Steyn, Mick Bellamy and Jaye Sippel all left in that Holt over spoken of ... at least two of them to decisions that would have most times gone the other way, but then, that's cricket. Totals have been our problem all season. There's lots to gain from experiences this season and young players to celebrate and watch for next season in Bellamy, Steyn, Batley, Sippel, Lawrence.

3rd Grade vs Souths at TREC
City United 130 (Josh Allen 26) and 159 (John Kennedy 43, Cory Callcott 30, Ryan Sippel 22) defeated Souths 105 (Ben Cleghorn 7-53, Robbie Snith 2-0) and 112 (Josh Allen 4-17, Robbie Smith 3-30, Ben Cleghorn 3-43) by 72 runs.
What a great win by 3rds, underlined as it was by a terrific bowling effort from Cleghorn who picked up match figures of 10-96 in two long spells of bowling. Josh Allen also had a big game, particularly with another very sensible hand at the end of the first innings and his contribution stands creditably against the first innings lead of only 25. In the last innings, his first three overs produced three wickets which broke the game in City's favour. Special mention to wicketkeeper Mark Chew who must be getting younger judging by his seven dismissals for the match including five first innings catches! Well played boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be moderated and none will be posted unless you leave your name. Click on the "Name/URL" radio button and type in your name.